Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday Madness

I am clicking refresh on CNN every five minutes for updates on the primaries.

THIS. HAS. TO. STOP.

I have so much homework to do, and it isn't getting any closer to being done by me obsessing over the results of the US primaries.

In other, more interesting news, I'm working at a library in Hidden Collections (Seriously, it just sounds sexy. Indiana Jones type stuff.), and I'm currently archiving peoples' papers who worked on the Manhattan Project. Only one was an actual physicist, the other two were brought in on biomedicine and the effects of radiation on biological systems. Still, it's absolutely fascinating. I don't claim to have a firm grasp of atomic/molecular/quantum physics, but I get most of the basics and some of the deeper issues. And these guys are way, way, way over my head most of the time. Nonetheless, it is fascinating material to work through. I mean, I'm handling actual letters by Einstein and Neils Bohr!

A large part of one collection was literature from the 1960's-1980's about nuclear proliferation and policy. I think I finally understand the paranoia that prevailed during the Cold War. Nuclear weapons...man...

There's also a helluva lot in their about the biomedical uses of radiation for diagnosis and treatment. This stuff is all incredibly interesting, especially since my mother is a nurse and I've always had an interest in medicine. I really wish I had more time just to pour through all of this detail by detail. But, that would kind of ruin the point of my job as a processor. Trouble, trouble.

I'll have a post sometime soon about my personal outlook on academia, the world, etc.

No comments: